Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Dresser Turned Media Cabinet

Remember this fabric I ordered for the master bedroom, but when it arrived I said would be perfect in the living room?

Here it is but its taken on a new form as pillows. I am truly smitten with this fabric.

Even though I'm smitten, I didn't realize how much change one yard of fabric would inspire in our living room. But over the weekend I let inspiration reign supreme. After making the new pillow covers, I moved on to our "media cabinet" which was a antique serpentine dresser. Unfortunately, over time the top of the dresser started to warp. Do you see the gap in the front? It may look very minor, but in fact it was driving me crazy. So I changed it!

In walks this tall drink of water... and yes, I almost forgot to take before photos again. She was all battered and bruised from neglect.

Surely, it was nothing a little sanding, patching, more sanding, priming, painting, some more light sanding in between each layer, distressing, and glazing couldn't handle. And handling it was done! Ta-Dah!

Originally, we intended to use the top two drawers for the equipment but the receiver was too tall. No worries, I like them on the bottom just as well. (Yes, ladies I have to endure the speaker system right next to the TV. Can't go putting holes in the plaster walls of our rental. I would love to upgrade to a smaller set.)



This is the view from the couch. See how the fabric pulls in the green ceiling and new turquoise media cabinet. Another recent change is the wall color, they used to be a more golden color. The walls are now Balsam Beige by Sherwin Williams. 

There are more changes on the horizon for the room. I've had these two vases for literally years. I got them  from TJ Maxx in 2004 when bought our second house. Funny thing is, all this time I haven't been sure where to put them. So, I've lugged them to three additional houses since then because I love the colors. I think I've finally figured out what to do with them. But I'll leave that for another post, because I want some input.

I hope you liked my new media cabinet. Till next time... happy blogging!


I'm linking this to:
Creative Kristi Designs <br><br><br><b>Join us every Friday...</b>Furniture Feature Fridays 
The DIY Show Off

29 comments:

  1. Nicely done! We've done the same thing and it's so much better than a generic piece from a store!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love it! My parents just offered to me a couple of days ago a dresser they have had in their basement for like 20 years. I'm going to fix it up for use as a tv stand as well! Dressers make great tv stands :) The paint color you used is LOVELY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your new media cabinet! You have created a beautiful living room. I really like your new wall color. All the colors you have used work really well together. Thanks for sharing. You are always welcome to come share at my Show & Tell (mrshinesclass.wordpress.com) party on Wednesdays. Hope to see you there!
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really great idea! I'm looking to do something similar but haven't stumbled on the perfect dresser yet! Visiting from No Minimalist Here party. New follower! - L

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great piece. Beats anything you'd find at a store and is unique.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job! Oh, and those two vases would make perfect bedside table lamps - with short drum shades. Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the color! I'm still waiting for a dresser/buffet to show up at the thrift store for me to do this to :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your brilliantly refurbished media cabinet is GENIUS!! The color is stunning, and well, I just love it all! PLEASE come and shared your fab link at the Head to Head Showdown, going on right now at www.icantstopcrafting.blogspot.com ~Jen

    ReplyDelete
  9. p.s. You're more than welcome to share any other links you'd like! ~Jen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the great feedback ladies! I'm loving the new dresser more than I thought!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice job and what a beautiful color. Thanks so much for sharing with the newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your media cabinet! Perfect color for it, too. (I've been looking for an old dresser to convert to a media cabinet myself but am having trouble finding one with the right drawer size.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Letting you know that I am giving you the Liebster award...it will be up on tomorrow's post! http://hatingmartha.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a great idea! Thank you for sharing this. I was just wondering where we were going to put our new blue ray DVD player. I am going to have to figure out if I can do this now! I found you through Debbies and am now following!
    Stop by and visit anytime. Merry Christmas!

    Kristine

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your media cabinet is perfect. What was the paint color you chose? and what stain did you use? This has to be the perfect color of turquoise Thanks for sharing fround your blog from over at Debbie's link up

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the media cabinet. So pretty, and it looks as though it were designed for this specific purpose. Such a clever idea! I'm your newest follower, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Janel@hatingmartha Thanks so much Janel. I've never received the Liebster award before.

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Kathy Hi Kathy. I wish I could tell you the name of the paint color, it was in the oops pile with no name on it. But it is a true turquoise and the top is American Walnut by Varathane.

    ReplyDelete
  19. To all the new followers... Welcome!!! Thanks for the great response!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the color! It turned out great! I'm your newest follower from the debbiedoos newbie party. If you get a chance, I'd love you to stop by my blog & maybe follow along too!
    Sally
    loveofhomes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love that fabric. The pillows are awesome and the redo on the dresser is brilliant. Adore that color.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love it!! The color is perfect. I wish I could steal it for my house :). Great job!!

    I'm your newest follower!! I found you through Debbiedoo's Newbie Party. I'd love for you to come visit and follow me back if you get a chance!! :)

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! It looks beautiful! I did this same thing and just finished mine too! I didn't take my bottom drawer out though, I didn't even think of that! Very clever. I may have to copy you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. You've been featured!

    http://delightfulorder.blogspot.com/2011/12/top-ten-features-from-12142011.html

    Thanks for linking to the Party.

    See you this Thursday,
    DaNita

    ReplyDelete
  25. This looks fantastic! I LOVE the details of this piece, those legs are to die for! And you did an amazing job transforming it! It looks so much better, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What fun! You are really good at this (rescuing the furniture piece). When I did it, it was a MAJOR project. Glad I did it though. Great fabric too. Inspiring me..... :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. OK, out of all the before and afters this one is my favorite.

    Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  28. The dresser rehab turned out great, but I'd really love to know more about that fabric. I love it! Do you know the manufacturer or the name? I'm hoping you'll share more details on the beautiful fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  29. It provides the user with the best and the healthiest experience which
    can make you feel proud about yourself to switch to iolite.
    It fits right in your palm just like your mobile phone.

    Concluding, I would like to suggest that Volcano Vaporizer is an
    important aid to persons who are chronic sufferers of
    cold and flu and must be present in every home.

    ReplyDelete
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...